Thanks to modern hygiene 和 sanitation, we have seen lower rates of many diseases 和 health problems. Unfortunately, too much of a good thing can have its problems. I’ve 之前谈到过园丁（统计上）如何长寿, 和 it turns out that the 污垢 itself can play a role in this:
We have antibacterial soap, antibacterial spray, antibacterial cleaning wipes 和 a myriad of disinfecting cleaning products. Kids are growing up in clean, disinfected, sterile environments. We go to great lengths to make sure we are protected from germs. At the same time, we have rising rates of 过敏症, autoimmune problems 和 gut related disorders (especially in children).
一些研究说是的… In fact, some research says that widespread use of disinfecting 和 antibacterial products (and removal/avoidance of 污垢) is preventing proper formation of healthy gut bacteria 和 that restoring this beneficial bacteria could be the key to boosting immune function, reducing rates of 过敏症 or 消化问题 和 甚至改善心情.
Various cultures have known the health benefits of 污垢 for centuries 和 there is an old saying that “You have to eat a peck of 污垢 before you die.”这句老话似乎有智慧…
如 本文 解释：
“在对所谓的卫生假说的研究中，研究人员得出结论，像数以百万计的细菌，病毒，尤其是蠕虫这样的生物会随同进入人体“dirt”促进健康免疫系统的发展。几项持续的研究表明，蠕虫可能有助于重定向已经出错并导致感染的免疫系统。 自身免疫性疾病 allergies and asthma.
这些研究以及流行病学观察似乎可以解释为什么免疫系统疾病如 multiple sclerosis, Type 1 diabetes, inflammatory bowel disease, asthma 和 过敏症 have risen significantly in the United States 和 other developed countries.”
玛丽欧’伦敦皇家马斯登医院的肿瘤学家布里恩（Brien）在给肺癌患者接种一种 vaccae (pronounced “emm vah-kay”) to see if their symptoms improved. She noticed that in addition to fewer cancer symptoms, patients also demonstrated an improvement in emotional health, vitality, 和 even cognitive function.
Heather（来自Mommypotamus）谈到了这类微生物对IBS或消化系统疾病患者的益处。 发布 :
So what does it mean for our kids? It means that all of our cleaning, disinfecting 和 sterilizing could be doing more harm than good at times.
Much to the chagrin of their mothers (and my husband!), babies have a natural desire to play in the 污垢 和 put 污垢y objects in their mouth. Turns out, this could have an important immune developing 目的 :
孩子将东西放在嘴里时正在做的事情是允许他 immune response 探索他的环境，” Mary Ruebush, a microbiology 和 immunology instructor, wrote in her book, 为什么污垢好: “这不仅允许‘practice’免疫应答，这对于保护是必不可少的，但在教导未成熟的免疫应答中最好忽略的方面也起着关键作用。
After a study found that kids who grew up on farms or with a dog in the house had fewer 过敏症, research started to explore the importance of the organisms found in these less-than-sanitized environments 和 how they impacted health.
“One leading researcher, Dr. Joel V. Weinstock, the director of gastroenterology 和 hepatology at Tufts 波士顿医学中心在接受采访时说，出生时的免疫系统“就像一台未编程的计算机。它需要指示。”
He said that public health measures like cleaning up contaminated water 和 food have saved the lives of countless children, but they “还消除了可能对我们有益的许多生物的暴露。”
“孩子在超干净的环境中成长，” he added, “不会暴露于有助于它们发展适当的免疫调节回路的生物。”
Studies he has conducted with Dr. David Elliott, a gastroenterologist 和 immunologist at the 爱荷华大学，表明在发达国家几乎全部消除的肠道蠕虫是“可能是最大的参与者” in regulating the immune system to respond appropriately, Dr. Elliott said in an interview. He added that bacterial 和 viral infections seem to influence the immune system in the same way, but not as forcefully.”
“在2012年6月号中， The Journal of 所有 ergy 和 Clinical Immunology 一项研究表明，在印第安纳州北部农场长大的阿米什人儿童的过敏症发生率明显低于非农业人口（印第安纳州阿米什人为5.2％，瑞士非农业人口为11.3％）。这就是所谓的“the farm-effect”并且在北美和欧洲的农场人口中都有记录，其中农场儿童的过敏发生率降低了50％。
在美国，第三 National 健康 和 Nutrition Examination Survey 发现54.3％的研究人群对至少一件事具有过敏致敏的证据。
A recent study shows that the Amish have a lower incidence of asthma 和 过敏症 than non-farm populations.
此外，研究结果 American Journal of Respiratory 和 Critical Care Medicine published in 2007 that shows the use of cleaning sprays 4 times a week caused an increase in asthma 和 you can start to see the problem. Sprays that were included in the increase in asthma were glass-cleaning, furniture 和 air freshening sprays.”
The natural organisms in 污垢 serve an important 目的 for people of all ages, but babies have a specific 和 additional need for interaction with 污垢.
Breast milk lacks Iron 和 with important reason. Pathogens like E.Coli (which can cause severe 消化问题 in newborns) needs Iron to thrive, as do other pathogens. These low iron levels can help protect newborns from these bacteria.
大约六个月，一个婴儿’s need for Iron 和 other nutrients increases, but breast milk doesn’t increase its levels of these nutrients 和 with good reason. At this stage in life, babies spend more time on the ground. In the past, this meant they spent more time interacting with 污垢, which is a good source of Iron 和 分 erals like Zinc, magnesium, etc.
- 母乳中的铁非常少（〜0.35 mg /升）。 医学研究所建议6-12个月大的婴儿每天服用11毫克铁。 到这个年龄，大多数婴儿’铁的存储已枯竭，因此除母乳或配方奶之外，这种铁还需要来自辅食。 如果你想见你的婴儿’仅母乳中的铁需求量，她每天就要消耗4至13升母乳，具体取决于您的婴儿’母乳中铁的吸收效率（估计范围为15-50％吸收）。 最专为母乳喂养的婴儿’每天消耗的牛奶多于1升。
- 婴儿期铁缺乏症会增加认知，运动和行为缺陷的风险，即使使用铁剂治疗，这种缺陷也可能持续到十几岁。 已确定的具体缺陷包括18个月的运动发育障碍，10岁的智力低下，重读成绩的需求增加以及行为和注意力问题增加。 当我听到父母说他们拒绝对婴儿进行贫血检查时’9或12个月的检查，我必须假设他们没有’不知道他们的孩子会严重缺铁吗’s future.”
这项研究 shows that babies are capable of absorbing Iron from soil (which they are naturally in contact with at this age if playing on the ground). Other mammals have breast milk that is naturally low in Iron at the same developmental times 和 these mammals are also capable of absorbing Iron 和 other nutrients from the soil, indicating that there is a biological reason for this.
过去，脐带也没有’出生后立即夹紧 这几天也有充分的理由推迟进行钳制），让更多的脐带血（婴儿’s blood) to flow in to the baby. This resulted in higher blood levels 和 higher Iron levels, which would also help baby maintain Iron levels for a longer time.
Step 1: Go outside. Step 2: Eat some 污垢…. Just kidding!
我们不’t actually need to make an effort to consume 污垢 to get the benefits of soil based organisms 和 nutrients in soil, we just need to make an effort to come in contact with it 和 to have our babies 和 children come in contact with it.
I take the following steps to make sure we get the health benefits of 污垢:
- Encourage my kids (including crawling babies) to play outside barefoot in the 污垢 as long as I know it is an area that hasn’t been sprayed with chemicals or contaminated in some other way. I garden 和 walk outside barefoot (还有其他好处 ）。
- 在建议 这个帖子 , I also let my babies have an outside play area with organic 污垢 once they are 3-4 months or old enough to sit up or crawl. Yes, they get 污垢y. Yes, they put it in their mouths (that is the point). Usually, this area is just a small kiddie pool or pot or organic 污垢 with some toys in it to encourage play.
- I let my older kids help my in the garden, let them play in the 污垢, make mud pies 和 otherwise get 污垢y. If they’ve been playing in clean 污垢, I also let them eat outside without washing their hands so they can transfer small amounts of these soil based organisms to their digestive systems.
- 我们也都 食用富含益生菌的食物 and drinks like 开菲尔 , 自制酸菜, 康普茶 , 和 other fermented foods to make sure we are exposed to a wide variety of naturally occurring beneficial bacteria.
- 我补充一个 高质量的益生菌/益生元混合物，其中包含许多相同的生物. I also sprinkle these on the foods I feed my little ones 和 even dump a capsule in to the play 污垢. ( 这个品牌 已经 临床研究，尤其是IBS或消化系统疾病的患者)
Did you know that kids need 污垢? Do you let yours get 污垢y? Do you have any contact with 污垢 yourself? Think I’我疯了吗？在下面分享！